Wednesday, May 23, 2012
“Today’s accomplishment is a major milestone and a source of pride for the Libyan people who endured 42 years of denial of political rights,” said the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), Ian Martin, in a statement.
Libyans are scheduled to vote for members of a new National Congress in late June.
The North African country’s Higher National Electoral Commission has announced that some 2.7 million people of voting age had enrolled as voters by the end of the registration period yesterday – Mr. Martin said the figure was a reflection of Libyans’ commitment to a democratic transition.
He said he was also encouraged by the high levels of interest political parties had demonstrated in participating in the electoral process.
“This has been a huge challenge and undertaking in terms of logistics and security planning, particularly in the context of Libya’s post-conflict transition and the fact that there has been no electoral experience in over four decades,” the envoy said.
In his statement, He also congratulated residents of the city of Benghazi for participating in the election of their local council leaders in a calm environment.
Clashes between rival groups have been among the challenges facing Libya since the toppling of the regime of Muammar Al-Qadhafi last year and the establishment of the interim authorities.