Thursday, December 01, 2005

Local government: Permit to party

If you want to hold a Christmas street party in the Sydney council of Burwood, you will need to pay $74 for a permit. Fair enough, have a whip round among the neighbours and throw another shrimp on the barbie.

You must also ensure that religious and cultural differences in the street are considered, and a wet-weather contingency plan developed. When you apply make sure too that you provide waste-management strategies, letters of support, petitions, maps and photographs.

However,the new policy does not contain any strict definition of what constitutes a street party.

"Yeah, well, it's like, you know, a lot of people in the street sort of having a good time innit like. People in Sydney having a good time without rules, regulations, permits, licences, application fees and Environmental Study Plans, we can't have that - it's Un-Australian."

Oh yes. there is one more requirement if you wish to street party at Christmas.

You have to apply six weeks in advance.